Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 9 - Losing iPad

Good day yesterday, a lot of progress in the neck department.

However, Eric's iPad, which we use for the photos, is nowhere to be found this morning. Hoping we left it in the workshop. Otherwise it was 'half inched' at the bar last night . . .  We can hope . . .

But I do have a couple of photos on my phone . . .

We started with the usual blog breakfast at Glop and second breakfast at Macondo, where they obviously serve Illy coffee. Seems they have a new set of personalised movie director espresso cups . . .


Kiku, the workshop guard dog, took a starring role, both herding us at breakfast . . .




And in ecstasy while having a good scratch . . .


Further sanding of the guitar bodies are gtting them closer to the finished article, but still no routng for me . . . 

Ground down the edges of the newly fitted frets, shaped the headstock and drilled counterusnk holes for the tuning pegs . . .

When I made 'The Beast' I designed a Formentera Gecko to insert on the 12th fret as an octave marker. I decided not to do the same but was considering some emblem for the headstock, and I thought a starfish seemed appropriate to Formentera . .





But I eventually decided that the natural wood of the headtsock looks so good, I would rather have it unadorned. Also, I will have quite a bright scratchplate/pickguard, and an emblem might be a little too much . . .

In the afternoon, we had a theory session on necks and how thick they should be at 1st fret and 12th depending on size of your hands and playing style. Reminded not to forget the truss-rod, lying beneath the wood at 16 or 17mm deep!

I opted for a 22mm neck, which feels comfortable and also less risky when shaping the neck. You dont want to see any metal when you are sanding, or its 'Goodbye Vienna'. Eric had a bit of a shock in this department, but with some careful soundings, realised no damage had been done .  . .

This Formentera image caught my eye, despite the blatant advertisiing . . .


Jose Tealdi, of Chimichurri fame, popped in during the late afternoon to have a beer with us and check on the guitars. He was also quite chuffed to see the new Formentera poster with him on it . .


Finished work at 10pm again and retired to the bar. Eventually had dinner after midnight with some Rioja and Fundador, then crashed  . . .

If we find the iPad, I will post some of the real photos from yesterday below!

Hasta . . .

Good news - iPad found . . .  some piccies below illustrate yesterday's arduous undertakings . .













 

No comments:

Post a Comment